Introduction to Land Development Design
Course Summary: The purpose of this course is to provide students with an overview of the land development design process, integrating multiple disciplines of civil engineering, such as transportation, water resources, environmental, geotechnical, and construction. The course will also introduce students to the unique manner in which land development engineers must consider planning, environmental, and sustainability issues.
- Discuss the common physical, political, environmental, and economic factors that drive land development.
- Identify and apply local, state, and federal regulations that steer the land development process.
- Identify issues of sustainability as they relate to land development.
- Perform basic engineering calculations related to the layout of utilities.
- Interpret and construct topographic maps, grading plans, and roadway alignments.
- Apply the basic concepts of hydrology and the Rational Method.